Control Systems Engineer
VFE is the leading specialist in redesign, overhaul and repair of all makes of vacuum furnaces thanks to its hands-on service support and proven engineering solutions. Our experience in problem solving and innovative, engineered solutions offered covers all makes of equipment and all aspects of vacuum furnace technology including Vacuum Heat Treatment, Vacuum Brazing, Vacuum Melting & Casting, Diffusion Bonding, Vacuum Sintering and many other processes. We understand the specific needs of our clients, helping them to reach their goals by providing innovative heat treatment solutions and aftersales service in line with the highest quality standards, improving processes and reducing costs. As an expert in Vacuum Furnace and associated technologies, VFE assists its clients in optimising their cycle times, limiting the amount of downtime while optimising energy usage.
What will I be doing?
Reporting to the Director – Control Systems, the position of Control Systems Engineer is a key role within the Engineering team responsible for the design, development, implementation, test, and commission of industrial control solutions software (PLC/HMI/SCADA).
Key Responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the design, development, implementation, testing and commissioning of control systems software (PLC/HMI/SCADA)
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the documentation associated with control systems (FDS/DDS/SDS/Drawings/Testing)
- Assist customers and Service Engineers with electrical / control problems at office, remotely or onsite
- On-site work commissioning complex machines and training customers
- Analysing and interpreting data
- Collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers
- Providing technical support
- Liaise with other departments to allow effective and smooth running of the business
- Ensure Health and Safety requirements are adhered to at all times
What skills do I need?
- Proficient with Siemens TIA Portal to Programmer Level 2 standard or higher (required). Additional PLC hardware and associated software proficiency valued (S7, IEC 61131-3, Allen-Bradley, Honeywell, Mitsubishi, Omron)
- Proficient with SCADA and associated software (Wonderware Intouch, WinCC, Reporting)
- Working knowledge/proficiency with fieldbuses (Profibus DP, Modbus, AS-i) and industrial communications (OPC / Ethernet / RS-485 / 5G etc.)
- Previous experience with industrial projects, teams and roles
- Produce detailed Technical Documentation to a high standard (Design, documentation, Programming, Testing and Commissioning, Electrical design and Drawings using EPlan/AutoCad)
- IT Networking/Security, SQL databases, VB scripting
- Ability to work well with a team in our factory, from home and on-site
- Able to thrive in a high-stress and fast-paced environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of working with Vacuum Furnaces desirable
- Degree from a recognised institution (MEng, BEng, HND) in Electrical/Electronic engineering or a related discipline e.g. Control Engineering or Systems Engineering
- Formal professional training certificates to demonstrate competency
- Membership of a professional institute (IET, IM&C, etc.)
- Working towards Chartered Membership is valued
What’s in it for me?
A training and development plan will be designed for you as we want you to grow and develop within VFE; this may include external training as required for the role.
- Excellent salary
- 20 days holiday plus 8 public holidays
- Life Assurance
- Pension Scheme